Friday 18 November 2016

2c:- Reflective Theory

Every bodies idea of reflection is different as everybody reflects differently. I reflect best when I have been through a certain experience once the experience is complete I think about the outcomes of the experience and think mindfully about  the following :- 

Was it a good or a bad experience?

What could I do to make the experience better?

Has the experience made me a better person overall?

Most of the time I keep my thoughts to myself and dont express my emotions, but sometimes everyone needs to express their emotions, emotions are a big indicator to how we can show if an experience went according to plan or not.

When researching about the word 'Reflection' there are many meanings to this work the phrase by using the 'Free Dictionary Online' .http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reflection

 '3b. A thought or an opinion resulting from such thinking or consideration'

This Phrase relates to reflection the best for me because once I have reflected on the experience I have a final thoughts and opinions on how I believed the experience went by analysing and reflecting on my teaching.



Views Of Dewey  





Referring to the quote above it is clear that Dewey believes that we learn best once we have completed the task and then to  reflect on the experience. I use this  technique at the end of my lessons once completed the lesson in school , I ask the children to reflect on their learning ,what have they gained from today's lesson ? what can they improve on next time ?...


http://study.com/academy/lesson/john-dewey-on-education-impact-theory.html

I found the above  website really useful when researching into Dewey it explained some really important facts relating to Dewey including  :-

'Dewey Had a Child Centred approach to education and emphasised the learning needs and interests of the children'

He also liked the use Interdisciplinary- connecting multiple subjects together, I use this technique with regards to topics within Dance. Today I was teaching a year 5 class and they have been reading/ studying  the Roal Dahl book of Matilda in English so I decide to cross curricular the 2 subjects of Dance and English together and  as a class they learnt a section of  the Royal Shakespeare Company dance of  'Revolting Children'.    

http://www.wilderdom.com/experiential/SummaryJohnDeweyExperienceEducation.html

'experience arises from the interaction of two principles -- continuity and interaction.  Continuity is that each experience a person has will influence his/her future, for better or for worse.  Interaction refers to the situational influence on one's experience.  In other words, one's present experience is a function of the interaction between one's past experiences and the present situation.  For example, my experience of a lesson, will depend on how the teacher arranges and facilitates the lesson, as well my past experience of similar lessons and teachers.'

Overall evaluating on Deweys Theory- I believe the more experiences we experience through our lives, and the more we evaluate on the finding from the experience, we will be able to guide ourselves through life in our chosen direction. Through experience we face we are still learning , learning and evaluating  never stop through our lives. 


Views of Kolb 





As a Dance teacher in primary schools I always plan my lessons what I  am going to deliver through the half term in a certain topic. I always set aims and expectations for the Higher, Middle and lower ability  (All, Most ,Some)  this enables me to have an understanding on what is going to be achieved by the children at  the end of  each lesson and end of the half term. I can refer at Kolbs learning cycle as I always start at 'Active Experimentation.'  

Each Lesson I teach I believe that I go through each stage of Kolbs Learning Cycle. I think the most important section out of this theory is 'Abstract Conceptualisation' because I wont reach the learning outcomes at the end of the term if this isn't followed through.This enables me to edit the next lesson if we haven't  achieved a certain area from the lesson.


I can see how Kolbs theory is a great way to reflect on 'experience'


Views Of Moon

Jenny Moon is best known for her contribution to Journal Writing. Through my Education at Hammond we used the use of Journal writing to reflect on our week/lesson I liked how I could  put thoughts  to paper and reflect on my week/ lesson in a thoughtful mindful way reflecting in peace. When writing my journal through section 2b I used Moons techniques to create a detailed Reflective Journal.


Views of Schon


Schon theory relating to Reflecting In Action and Refection On Action, I can relate sometimes to this when  teaching a lesson. Sometimes things dont go to plan so I  have to change the aspect of the lesson on the spot incorporating different learning methods for example Gardeners techniques. This shows I  am thinking ahead and not wasting children's learning time. Once finished the lesson I will then reflect on why my planned lesson didn't work. Sometimes it  can relate to the learning methods i used as each child is different and everyone learns using different methods, or sometimes the children need more help of understanding the topic or  learning outcomes of the lesson so the lessons are slowed down to make sure  learning outcomes are achieved which may relate to another lesson on the same topic/ technique of dance.


I have have loved reading into the different practitioners and their reflective methods hope you enjoy reading my blog!








No comments:

Post a Comment